Wednesday 7 July 2010

A Darker Dream

The world is entering a phase. Bare feet greet marble floor. Coldness shoots up through my toes and soles. The universe feels ambiguous and vague. Spiralling, unwinding, dizzy. Everything is frozen. Suspended between existence and non-existence. Glass is slowly falling. As if gravity is gradually gaining weight, but isn’t heavy enough to let the glass plunge. Suddenly, the glass cascades to the ground. It smashes into millions of microscopic shards that bounce across the black marble floor. Everything re-gains speed. Pots, glass, sand and soil collapse from the ceiling all around me. I stand firm. Barely existing in this reality. Hanging between this realm and the next.

Memories rewind in my head. Past experiences flicker. Moments I never knew I created, yet here they are. How can I see them so vividly now? How can one see yesterday, today? I can faintly hear the smashing of everything around me. The noise is growing. Increasing rapidly. Louder and louder. I snap out of the recollection and my black atmosphere collides with itself with immense force. Like a tornado consuming its own validity.

Then I woke up.

When I got out of bed and opened the window, the air outside was flat. It felt motionless and leaden. The room was cold. My warm flesh tingled as it became acquainted with the air. It was a new morning. A new day to do nothing.

I felt hazy and indefinite. Not only that, but I didn’t have a sense of time. It didn’t feel early neither did it feel late it the morning. It was somewhere in between. Nowhere.

I didn’t know what to do. I felt as if I’d woken up in a different body, or rather, I’d woken up in the same body, but it was inside that felt unfamiliar. I just sat there on my bed and listened to the silence. It was so pristine and clear. The stillness around me was continual.

I tried to trace why I felt the way I did. It wasn’t a bad feeling, just unusual and new. I somewhat liked it, but simply couldn’t unearth its origin.

I then brushed my teeth with the same toothbrush I used yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that … The sink looked deeper than usual. I felt my face melt into the plug hole. It felt intensely hot as it drooped. I turned on the tap and watched flesh, cartilage and blood swirl downwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment