Wednesday 14 July 2010

'The Hobbit' by J.R.R Tolkien (Ch.1)

The following is going to be somewhat a regular thing that I'll do. Currently, I am reading 'The Hobbit' by the infamous Tolkien himself. It was recommended by a good friend and I was asked if I could review each chapter after reading them. I've now read up to chapter V since I began reading yesterday afternoon. I might be able to finish all five chapter reviews today, but we'll have to wait and see.

'The Hobbit' by J.R.R Tolkien
Chapter I

This book tells the adventurous tale of Bilbo Baggins; an unambtious hobbit who lives in a comfortable hobbit-hole in Bag End. He is whisked off by a wise wizard called Gandalf and a company of dwarves to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent dragon.

So far, this book has been a great read and highly enjoyable. Although, I felt that in the beginning of the first chapter, my gauge of interest soared up and down intermittingly. It was gripping up until the tenth page, wherein fourteen dwarves begin to arrive at Bilbos' hobbit-hole in small groups or individually. This should've a somewhat important starting point in the book, but it was written in such a repetitive uninteresting way that I found myself wishing that the story would hurry along abit.

But the story does hurry along after four pages when Gandalf and Thorin Oakenshield the dwarf arrive at Bilbos' home.

In summary of what occurs in this chapter, Gandalf, the company of dwarves (or dwarfs as you're told to write the plural of dwarf in the book) and Bilbo all discuss the raid and journey ahead. Bilbo of course, has no idea why thirteen dwarves are in his house gobbling up his cakes, tea and beer. And he also doesn't have a clue what matter is at hand. But Gandalf chose Bilbo to accompany them on the journey to be the burgular. All the dwarves have been told that this little hobbit is a professional, yet he is most certainly not. Bilbo however, goes along with it and they embark on their epic journey.

I must say though, it is an impressive book and is written very accurately. Tolkien creates a whole other world that grips you and sends your imagination reeling at the possibilities that could unfold. He does have a narrative style of writing. I can picture someone telling this tale around a huge campfire. It's hard to believe that this book was originally written for Tolkiens' children, but met instant acclaim once published.

A facinating read so far.

1 comment:

  1. I read this when I was your age and found it absorbing. I should read it again one day. Still have it on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete